Psychological and Counselling Service
As part of providing a Psychological and Counselling service to you, Character Care needs to collect and record personal information from you that is relevant to your situation, such as your name, contact information, medical history and other relevant information as part of providing these services to you. This collection of personal information will be a necessary part of the assessment and treatment that is conducted.
Your informed consent will be obtained before any treatment or procedure is initiated and you may withdraw from treatment at any time without prejudice. If you are unclear about any of the information on this consent form, please discuss this with your Psychologist or Counsellor (Therapist).
Privacy and Confidentiality
Your personal information is gathered as part of your assessment and treatment. All of this is kept securely and, in the interests of your privacy, used only by your therapist and the authorised personnel of the practice (as necessary), such as the administrative team. We would like to emphasise that your privacy and the information that you provide is protected at all times. All of our Therapists are registered with the regulatory boards, of which we can provide, if required. It is a requirement that all Therapists follow strict guidelines for professional conduct that is in line with regulatory Code of Ethics, such as AHPRA, ACA, PACFA.
Your personal information is retained in order to document what is discussed during sessions and enables the Therapist to provide a relevant and informed therapeutical service to you. You are entitled to access your personal information kept on file at any time. Should you wish to see the information kept on your client records, please discuss this with your Therapist.
Limits to Confidentiality
All personal information gathered by the Therapist during the provision of the therapeutical service, will remain confidential except when:
- It is subpoenaed by a court; or
- Failure to disclose the information would in the reasonable belief of Character Care place you or another person at serious risk to life, health or safety; or
- Your prior approval has been obtained to
- provide a written report to another professional or agency. e.g. GP, school or a lawyer; or
- discuss the material with another person, eg. a parent, employer or health provider; or
- disclose the information in another way; or
- You would reasonably expect your personal information to be disclosed to another professional or agency (e.g. your GP) and disclosure of your personal information to that third party is for a purpose which is directly related to the primary purpose for which your personal information was collected; or
- Disclosure is otherwise required or authorised by law; or
- When consulting with colleagues, or in the course of Professional Supervision, your Therapist will be required to conceal your identity and any associated parties involved; and to preserve your privacy at the utmost professional manner in accordance with the Code of Ethics.
Reflecting Team Therapy
Character Care offers the unique and distinctive service of reflecting teams. Clients will be informed of this practice prior to this experience. If clients do not wish to participate in reflecting team practice, we will continue service without the team, it is optional. In reflecting team practice, you will be observed via a one-way mirror or by the team being present in the consulting room. If being observed by the one-way mirror, recording devices are used to transmit sound from one room to another. This information is for your peace of mind that any recordings will not be kept and only used for training purposes with the client or advocates permission. Furthermore, all team members will adhere to Character Care’s confidentiality and duty of care practices.
Collection of Personal Information
If you do not wish for your personal information to be collected in a way anticipated by this Consent Form, Character Care may not be able to provide the therapeutical service to you. You may request to be anonymous or to use a pseudonym unless it is impracticable for Character Care to support you or if Character Care is required or authorised by law to work with identified individuals. In most cases, it will not be possible for you to be anonymous or to use a pseudonym, however if the Therapist at Character Care agrees to you being anonymous or using a pseudonym, you must pay consultation fees at the time of the appointment.
To ensure that Character Care maintains the highest quality of care to our clients, we request 24hour notice if you are unable to attend your scheduled appointment. Otherwise, there will be a 100% charge of your scheduled fee for a late cancellation/ non-attendance fee. This fee must be paid in full prior to the commencement of your next session at Character Care. Prior notice to cancel would be much appreciated, as this can enable us to provide services to other clients who may be in need of an urgent appointment.
Payment of Service
We do not offer accounts and therefore require payment on the day of service, unless there has been an arrangement made by way of third party payment.